9.18.2012

Simple Pumpkin Canvas

Today the weather has been amazing. It's cool, there's a light breeze, and this just feel more like fall. I told myself I wasn't going to decorate for fall until October arrived, but with the weather today, I couldn't hold out any longer. I went up in the attic and pulled down what little we have for Fall, Halloween, and Thanksgiving. It was minimal at most. So I rummaged through my wood scrap pile and pulled out some leftover orange burlap to whip up this quick little project. (Sorry no pictures of the process.)




      What you'll need:
  • Piece of wood, any size you want.
  • Burlap to wrap around wood.
  • Staple gun & staples.
  • Contact paper.
  • Pumpkin outline printable (see below).
  • Scissors or exacto knife.
  • White craft paint.
  • Paint brush- I actually used a circular sponge stamper brush...


      How to:
  1. Iron any big creases out of burlap.
  2. Lay burlap on floor, and place wood on top of it.
  3. Wrap burlap to the back of your wood and staple in place. I staple parallel sides one after the other, and then switch to the other parallel sides, pulling taut as you go, but not too hard since burlap is a loose weave.
  4. Print out pumpkin to fit on your canvas with border room.
  5. Cut a piece of contact paper to fit the size of your board, trace pumpkin onto contact paper, cut out pumpkin, and set aside. Using the left behind contact paper, peel off backing and adhere to your burlap wrapped board. Make sure to press down well especially around the inner edges.
  6. Paint the negative space with white paint. With my circular sponge brush I dabbed paint, do not brush from side to side or the paint may seep under the edges of your contact paper.
  7. Once painted you can carefully remove contact paper.
  8. Set project aside to dry.

Enjoy!



Click on pumpkin above or HERE to download your pumpkin outline.

No comments:

Amazon Affiliate